What is a Licensed Midwife?

In California, qualified midwives are licensed by the Medical Board of California to “provide prenatal, intrapartum, and postpartum care, including family-planning care, for the mother, and immediate care for the newborn.” In order for a midwife to qualify for licensure, she must successfully complete an accredited three-year postsecondary midwifery education program approved by the board as well as “a comprehensive licensing examination which is equivalent, but not identical, to the examination given by the American College of Nurse Midwives.”  For your safety licensed midwives carry medications to treat a variety of intrapartum complications, along with oxygen and IV therapy. In addition, LM’s are certified in both neonatal resuscitation and CPR.

(Licensed Midwifery Practice Act of 1993)

Do home birth midwives take insurance?

Out-of-network coverage (often around 60% of all costs) is available for clients with PPO insurance plans. Custom payment plans are also available for all of our clients.

Is home birth Safe?  – See this page

Is home birth right for me?
Home birth is the right choice for women that have a low risk pregnancy and a deep trust in their body’s ability to give birth naturally.

Do you do water births?
Yes, we love water birth! You can use the birth pool to labor in or deliver your baby in the tub. The water is kept at 99*f. Birth tub rental is $175-$250 depending on what type of birth tub you choose. Water birth is a safe, gentle way to bring your baby into the world!

Are routine prenatal test offered?
Yes. You will be offered all routine prenatal tests. All test are optional and you will be given detailed information regarding risks and benefits of test and treatment so that you can make an educated informed decision.
Some of the test that you will be offered are:
OB panel
Hepatitis B
Genetic Screening
Gestational Diabetes
Group B Strep (GBS)

How do I get a birth certificate and social security number for my baby?
After your Home birth we will fill in the birth certificate and file it with your County’s Vital Statistics office. We will then make an appointment to go and sign the certificate in person. After that you fill in the “new ss card” form on the social security web site. http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf Mail this form with your birth certificate and you are set.

Can you fill in my “verification of pregnancy” or “pregnancy disability” forms?
Yes, California Licensed Midwives can verify your pregnancy for insurance, AIM, and medical purposes. We can also sign you off for state disability at 36 weeks.